Sunday, July 15, 2012

Can I have your attention?

Friday was a good old fashioned double session of EDUC 504 which pretty much blew my mind.  It covered two totally different topics, but both made me think.


So let's reflect!


We'd been given the past two weeks to mull over NYC's proposed soda ban (you know, that thing I talked about in my last post).  We were told to think about potential learning opportunities using the idea of the soda ban.  Being a social studies nerd, I went wild.  The possibilities were endless, really.  We had been given a scenario for what the class would be structured like a few days after the first class session, but we didn't get full details until the evening before.  We would be working with school librarians to develop a basic lesson plan.


Cool.


I should say there's two librarians in my immediate family, so I think librarians are pretty swell.  Anyway, our task was to utilize resources our librarian could give us to form our lesson plan.


My group was half of the social studies majors and an incredibly brave psych minor--Sarah was a great sport putting up with our constant debating and at times, circular thinking.  So we talked things out.  A lot.  I wouldn't say it was a heated debate because their wasn't really negativity going about, but it was lively to, say the least.  We tossed out at least half a dozen potential social studies lesson plans before deciding to talk about the soda ban in it's relationship to other nanny laws.


This was fun.  Way too fun.  How do you really determine if something is a law designed to protect others or protect you from yourself?  That was one of the questions we posed to our hypothetical students.  Over the course of the morning session, we learned that it's hard to put a specific label on whether a law is a nanny law or just a basic law.  We also had a pretty in depth discussion about the connotation of the phrase "nanny law."  Does using those words automatically make us perceive something as bad?  Do we see those words and automatically assume big brother is watching us?  


Think about that for a second.  Let's say we take a nanny law like seatbelt laws.  It's universally accepted that they're a good thing and save many, many lives everyday.  But call them a nanny law and we frown and think, "A nanny law?  That sounds bad!  It's probably infringing on my personal rights!"


Think about that seatbelt law again and call it a "public health law."  Sounds totally different now, doesn't it?  "A public health law?  Well, that can't be that bad!  It means the world is looking out for my best interest!"


Still the exact same law.  Totally different feeling when you change the wording of what can of law it is.
In the afternoon, we switched gears to a totally different direction.  Podcasting.  About as different as it gets from work with librarians.


I like podcasts.  It's how I catch up on my NPR nerd stuff or listen to people I like rant about things.  I know many educators use them--iTunes U exists just for that purpose--but I still don't know what role they would play in my classroom.  It's such a simple concept; they're really just recordings.  It would be a great way to share information, but would students respond to them?  How could I be sure my students would listen to a podcast on a topic unless I was watching over their shoulders?  I'm trying to just be realistic with this.  High school kids do what they want and if they can gloss over something or avoid it, they will.  I'm afraid podcasts would fall into that category.


I think they would had serious potential if I was doing a project that centered around something like a speech or announcement.  The kids could make their own podcasts of The Gettysburg Address and then dissects it's meaning.  Students studying WWII could remake one of FDR's fireside chats or his Infamy Speech to congress. Definite potential in that area.  It's allowing students to express their creativity while still being in the context of social studies.


And now, a video!  A dance I was assistant choreographer on.  Because of that, I got a trip to Disney World with a bunch of high school girls.  Really, it wasn't that bad.



3 comments:

  1. Abby, I like reading your blog posts, they have a very enjoyable flow to them. I don't think anyone has described the morning's activity as "fun". But I love that you did, and glad you enjoyed it. I also hope you got a lot out of it. I like your specific ideas of how to use podcasts. I appreciate your use of the word potential. I think it's a great attitude to have. Just keep in mind that the fear of technology going wrong is only a fear. Worst case scenerio, your plan doesn't work and you can adjust it for the next year or get rid of it. Just something to consider (and maybe increast your risk-taking).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like debating things--that made it fun for me:) So much of what is at the heart of the soda ban idea relates to social studies in so many different ways. I can use the ban to teach history, government, or economics. Or a little of all!

      As for podcasts, my views evolve with them more everyday. I think if we keep an open mind on something like them, the possibilities and potential grow. Whenever I go through NPR's website or podcasts on iTunes, I seem to find something that changes my mind about podcasts. I think right now I, like all of us, have to keep an open mind on all aspects of technology that isn't traditional. I think podcasts have a lot of room to grow, but already occupy valuable space that we aren't utilizing. I think I had some good thoughts...I played them off other people who gave me feedback. I think they would be really useful in a foreign language class, for example. I think they could be made into a really fun activity for students that helps them practice any kind of speaking activity.

      Delete
  2. I echo your concerns about podcasting, Abby. They seem like a great tool for students to get info (especially on mobile devices you know they are hiding in pockets, hoodies, backpacks etc.). In order to ensure that they actually listen to the ones we would like them to, some sort of assessment/ accountability measure should be taken into place. But how do we make this fun?

    As a world languages teacher, I see huge benefits from students listening to "authentic" foreign language, and getting a chance to record and evaluate their own responses to prompts. I am especially looking forward to learning more about the calling in systems where students can record their voice as turning in homework for speaking assignments. I like how you applied this to social studies. It would be cool if instead of in person presentations, the class could listen to everyone's podcasts on presentation/ speech day...

    ReplyDelete